Friday, November 15, 2013

Amazing Astronaut Weekend.

If you have not heard of the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation it an amazing organazation started by the Mercury 7 astronauts.  They have an annual event to raise money every Nov there's an autograph show, lectures, dinners and other events where you get to hang out with astronauts.  These guys are my heros and the idea of getting to drink and talk with them is amazing!


I just got back from the latest event and saw the new Space Shuttle Atlantis on display.
You get to be unbelevebly close to it.



The Gemini 9 capsule was the other thing I really wanted to see.  I've always been facinated with the Gemini program and all the things they acomplished to make Apollo possible.

Love the controls!

Later that night at the big fancy dinner we were treated to Eugene Cernan, Richard Gordon and flight nurse Dee O' Hara share their stories about the Gemini program.



Some guy stood up right when I took the picture and blocked Gene Cernan.  I wanted to get autographs  of Cernan and Tom Staford the crew Gemini 9 it turned out Titan rocket models in the middle of the table were signed by both of them and for sale!  SOLD!  I had to get it.



Our table was hosted by Space Shuttle pilot Greg Johnson.


Then I got to meet Gene Cernan Gemini 9 and last man on the moon!

 And Richard Gordon, Gemini 11 and Apollo 12.

Earlier that day we took a tour of the cape and went to the original launch site of the Freedom 7 capsule back in May of 61.  This is the flight that was close to what the Virgin Galactic flight will be.  Wow how far we have come.   There hasn't been any new training or experiences to report I know that NBC announced they will be covering Richard Branson's first flight with his two kids next year.  I can't wait to see that!

No comments:

Post a Comment